Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Sun Also Sets: WTF Hemingway

So I'm reading Ernest Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises. I don't really know why. Maybe because someone compared it to Lena Dunham's Girls? (I don't really know why). Maybe because I thought it was a Great Book that I should read if I want to be a well-rounded person? Maybe because someone told me it was about bull fights? (Again, I don't really know why). Maybe because in my head I equate Hemingway and Faulkner because I first read them in the same class in high school and recently really enjoyed reading Faulkner?

I'm ten chapters in and here's what's happened so far. No bull fights, but:

There are a bunch of American ex-pats living in Paris. They drink and write and read the newspaper a lot. For some reason they spend most of the time they're not drinking riding around in taxi cabs. There's this one girl who for whatever reason, is named Brett. The narrator really digs her but so does pretty much everyone else because she's been married a couple times and is actually a Lady. But then she divorces the Lord (who we don't meet, at least before chapter 11) and marries this guy named Mike who seems nice enough but is drunk always and is always waiting for someone to send him money. I don't really get why Brett is such a big deal because she seems like sort of a gold digger, not to mention that every time the narrator tries to hang out with her she invites other people or makes him ride around a lot in a taxi. But the narrator and Brett seem to be in love with each other or something. The narrator has a couple of bromances with other guys who are also really into Brett. They make plans to go fishing and watch bull fights and bro-out but in chapter 10 they get screwed up because one of the dudes is super into Brett and thinks he's made plans to meet up with her even though she is traveling with her husband. Whatever.

There's a not-so-subtle racist description.

There's some not-so-subtle anti-Semitism.

There's a scene where a character is looking into a mirror and Hemingway talks about it for a long time. It's probably symbolic but I'm either too dumb or too lazy to want to pick up on it.

It's safe to say that I don't understand great American literature and could probably benefit by reading some articles about Hemingway's writing.

Or I could just continue reading to see if there are any bull fights in chapters 11-19.

No comments:

Post a Comment