Monday, June 3, 2013

Get Out of the New One If You Can't Lend a Hand



I am sick and tired of people talking about the "good old days." If I hear one more tirade about how things used to be much better, how the economy used to be great, how you could drink from creeks by the side of the road and how people knew their neighbors and knew how to communicate without touch screens, I will throw my vaccinated, medicated, lily-white from lack of physical labor fist into someone's face. (Okay, maybe not, because that might mean breaking an acrylic nail).

I am an optimist, but I'm not an idiot. I know that the world we live in today has a lot of social, political, environmental and economic problems. But people seem to forget that the "goodle days" had a lot of problems too. Oh you know, like segregated drinking fountains, windows that were always covered in soot from burning coal 24/7 and the fact that everyone thought smoking was good for your health. There are still issues with our healthcare system, we're obviously still destroying our environment, and there are still a ton of racial systemic inequalities.

But I'm here to try and fix them. I'm not here to harbinge the end of the world or complain. If you want to die of dysentery while your oxen fords the stream, then be my guest. If not, you can join me as I use the power I have as a woman in the 21st century (in the "goodle days," I would have probably died in childbirth by now), using the technology that has been developed as well as the knowledge that has been passed down to me from our ancestors to make a change in the world for the positive.  I know that we can't fix every problem with the world today completely. The world will never be perfect, and if it was, it would be boring. So let's not waste our time and energy complaining. Let's get out there and try to alleviate what's wrong with the world today, and every day in the history of ever, because the "goodle days" don't exist.  Today exists, and it's the best day we have.

Come mothers and fathers throughout the land and don't criticize what you can't understand....your old road is rapidly aging. Please get out of the new one if you can't lend a hand, for the times they are a changing. - Bob Dylan 

No comments:

Post a Comment