Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Youtube and Reading in Las Green Bank

I'm halfway through week 2 in beautiful Green Bank, West Virginia, and I feel like a big huge hypocrite. I mean, I think it's really important for people to be proud of where they came from, and I will be working for a non-profit that is trying to get young people to stay in Appalachia, but at this point in my life, I'm home for about a week, and I just want to get out.
Don't get me wrong, I love my home, Green Bank, and West Virginia. I love driving my redneck truck with one hand because I'm using the other to wave at people. I love forgetting that I have a cell phone. I love running with my dog in the dark at the NRAO because I know I won't get hit by anything.
But I miss routine and instant people. At least once every week day, I've thought, "It's 11:34 am. People are at work right now." My job plan for this month fell through, so I'm going to start doing projects around our farm, mostly so I can stay busy. Tomorrow's project is finishing cleaning our scary garage (from the way I've been describing things at my house, it sounds like I live in a gothic shack. Skeletons, scary mold, and useless crap. But it's really more like a messy old farm than the Adams Family). These things keep me occupied, but they're no substitute for co-workers, or even knowing that there are central places where you're bound to see your friends. Most of my friends from high school don't come home for the summer. There are some wonderful exceptions to this rule, but it's not as if we see each other everyday, or there are a great wealth of things for us to do.

Wow. This post sounds kind of whiny. I'm going to say some positive things now.

I've been doing a lot of cooking.

I went to the eye doctor yesterday and my vision hasn't changed in 3 years.

My bed at home is so much more comfortable than any of the other beds I've slept on this year. It's even more comfortable than my bass case and the back of my Subaru was at Clifftop.

I've re-discovered Youtube. I don't watch dumb videos with animals and girls and cups and viral stuff. I'm a bit of an online video snob and prefer videos by people I know or featuring people I know. For examples of my excellent taste in online videos, go to Youtube and search for "I'm gon' dance Clifftop," and "Blue Daldon." Although the Harkness Bike Derby videos are a classic too.

One of my beautiful beautiful friends from Oberlin is coming to visit me next week! I can't wait to show off my hometown/county/state to her.

So I am proud of where I came from. At this point in my life, I just get itchy feet and can't stay in one place too long. So I'm just going to suck it up, clean out that garage, take care of all the business I need to take care of, watch a couple more Youtube videos, get ready for my friends impending visit, and look forward to a time when I will have routine and people that I'm not related to to spend time with.

*As a bonus for putting up with my complaints, here is an updated list of books I've read since being home. Not that you have to care, but if you do, then here ya go!

The Crying of Lot 49 - Thomas Pynchon (so so so good.)
Frankenstein (also good. The Wishbone version just doesn't do the book justice).
Lady Chatterly's Lover by D.H. Lawrence (The Wishbone version of this one is the best!!! Just kidding, but behind the personification of reproductive organs and the big stink that this book caused is not only an excellent love story, but interesting commentary about mechanization and the coal industry in England).
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson (Anyone want to hike the Appalachian trail with me?)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - What I Got Out Of It: Drugs are bad. Journalists are frivolous. My dad's copy of the book smells funny. Just kidding, Hunter S. You're a good writer.



No comments:

Post a Comment