Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Things I Am Learning

1. Don't start debates over facebook.

I posted a Facebook status that reflected my frustration with Oberlin students who get arrested for protesting mountain top removal (for my feelings on the subject, see previous blogposts). Surprisingly, 13 people liked it. The two people who didn't were very persistent in making their opinions known. I am glad that they did. I think I tend to look at both MTR and direct-action protests against it with a pretty critical eye. I really want to have an in-depth conversation with both of these people about MTR. But in person, and not on the internet. The internet is wonderful, but social networking sites are not an appropriate place for strong opinions (in my opinion), because so much can be misinterpreted. I'm pretty sure that both of these people think that I believe that MTR is economically good for Kentucky. Which I don't. But I also think that the issue is far more complicated than bringing a swift end to MTR and having the poor hillbillies be instantly uplifted. And the internet is one of the worst places to deal with a complicated subject.

2. Conflict with your family is really difficult.

First of all, I want to say that I'm incredibly fortunate that I've gone 20 years before I actually learned this. I've always been a good kid, my parents are fairly reasonable people for the most part, my brother and I had typical sibling battles but he's pretty great and I enjoy spending time with him. I am lucky to have such a good relationship with my family.

But lately I've been seriously considering taking time off from college so I can feel more engaged in my education when I go back, and this has started a series of difficult, frustrating conversations. I think we're at a good place now, but it was really plaguing me for a while.

3. Radio journalism is really cool.
I was able to put together a radio journalism piece about a radio program called History Alive! in around a day. So it wasn't NPR quality, but if I had had more time, it could have been a little closer. Radio journalism combines some of my favorite things (writing, radio, people, and hearing myself talk) into one art form.
I'm working on a piece right now that is going to take much longer. And it's hard, because I keep getting editing block. Doing sound editing on an interview is kind of scary. Plus, after a recent staff meeting, my duties at my internship got kicked up a notch. Besides web maintenance and radio journalism pieces, I'm hosting a web maintenance workshop (which I have to plan), and doing various and sundry things around the radio station. This doesn't sound all that time consuming, but it is.
Last Friday, I took a break from this and attended the Appalshop board meeting, so I could learn a bit about how non-profits are governed. I don't really understand Appalshop's structure very well, so it was interesting to see this small aspect of it. It was a really long meeting though, and no one seemed to get my jokes that after spending all day in a non-profit board meeting I was considering working for an oil company. This is why I am in radio, and not comedy. I definitely learned a lot from it, and it was a great opportunity to meet some of the people connected to Appalshop who don't actually work in the Appalshop building.

4. I am the kind of woman who likes other women.

So many women I know say that they don't have female friends. They don't like the drama, the jealousies, pettiness, gossiping, etc. But I just think that those women are hanging out with the wrong women. Because in the past year, both in my life at Oberlin and my life in Whitesburg, I have had the most amazing female friends. And sometimes there is drama, jealousy, pettiness, and gossip. But more often, there have been the amazing running buddies, porch conversations, karaoke duets to Aretha Franklin, hours spent sitting by (or in) a body of water, saying absolutely nothing, moral support, sage advice, and most recently, an old time hula-hooping band called "Fiddles Not Fellas."

I think many of these friendships with amazing women have been strengthened by the strangeness of males in both Oberlin and Whitesburg. In my experience, Oberlin boys are sweet and well-meaning, but awkward, and the ones who don't turn into complete messes around women are taken.
Okay, so this is maybe a harsh criticism. I really like Oberlin boys. But I don't personally do that well for myself there. There have been so many times when I have thought that some guy is going to kiss me, and he doesn't, and even more times when I thought someone was gay, only to discover that they weren't when they start kissing me. But maybe the problem is me in this situation. Anyway, back to Whitesburg.

Even though I think I'm a fairly attractive human being and have been told by other people that I am a fairly attractive human being, I rarely get hit on by anyone who is younger than 60. This actually isn't a big problem for me. I've learned to deal with this fairly well, I think.
In Whitesburg, this isn't the case at all. At first it was flattering when I parked my car by the bar and had 2 men offer to carry my bass. After nearly 3 months of living in Whitesburg, it's gotten old. Women who are new in town are, to use a technical term, "hot shit." My friends are very attractive people, but I think the novelty factor has a lot to do with this phenomena of constant male attention and almost suffocating chivalry.
But once again, I have some great male friends in Whitesburg. It's definitely kind of fun going to Summit City with my female friends and flirting, having guys open doors for you, etc.

I still think I would have formed these wonderful friendships with women if it weren't for the awkwardness of Oberlin boys, and the boldness of Whitesburg men. These women are smart, talented, funny, nice, interesting, creative, beautiful people, and all kinds of other good adjectives.

5. I am so fortunate.

My life is by no means perfect. But there are people in my life who respect my opinion enough to engage in debates with me, I've gotten along with my parents pretty well for the past 20 years, I have a great internship in a town I love, have amazing women in my life, and I am intelligent enough to learn from my experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment