Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Women's Blog and Why I'm Pretty Sure I Could Create One

After I came to terms with the fact that Facebook was causing me more misery than good and inducing me to do thinks like post pictures of my friends in their underwear (it's from a school dance party, alright?), stalk ex's new girlfriends (why is she skinnier and more artistically talented than me?), post controversial opinions online and then get upset when people criticize them (yes, I know that's a stupid idea for a tattoo. no, I still don't think you're taking the issue of mountain top removal seriously enough), and realize how many of the boys I had unrequited crushes on in middle and high school are MARRIED now (at least 2 that I know of), I deactivated my Facebook.

So it's still out there somewhere online, waiting for me to log-in and reactivate it and make sure I don't get a job because I forgot to untag the photo where I'm pretending to pick my nose. In the mean time, I am recovering quite nicely from this addiction (this is week 2). However, one cannot do as much homework as I do without some kind of reprieve or distraction. This distraction for me has been The Hairpin, thehairpin.com, a blog for women who are sort of in my life stage and who are feminists but wear make up and appreciate pop culture while being skeptical of it and like men or women but realize that people can be jerks much of the time. In short, I spend lots of time reading articles in the Hairpin, and will probably submit something to them as soon as I write something witty enough.

But then I realized that instead of trying to join the current women's magazine-style blogs, I should just make my own. I mean, come on, think of all of the blogs I've created, Janney's January Appalachian Adventures, where I talk about everything from water quality to happy hour, the now ignored Janney Lockman Living where I share my tips for being a young, feminist, modern, unmarried housewife, and the also underused Cats Do the Darnedest Things, where I share cat anecdotes (or would share them, if I weren't too lazy to update it).

Anyway, combine all these blogs together, add some advice about relationships and articles about movie stars, make up, and Barbie dolls, and you've got the Hairpin!
So I'm going to start a new blog that is a women's magazine for fashionable, smart, young feminist women who live in rural places in the US. This isn't happening now. But it will happen in the near future, so mark my words. In the mean time, stay tuned to this blog, and if you decide to deactivate your Facebook and get bored, I suggest The Hairpin


No comments:

Post a Comment