Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Keep it Simple

I just want it simple, I just want it easy. I ain't trying to hurt no one, I don't want no one to hurt me. Maybe we can be friends, maybe just a little more. Let's keep it simple like it was before.
- The Hackensaw Boys

Just because everyone you work around is crazy doesn't mean you have to be. - Janney Lockman


The first quote (from the song Keep it Simple on the Hackensaw Boys' album with the same title) and the second quote sort of describe the way I've been trying to live my work life. But it's difficult when money is involved and you're dealing with people and not machines. People act like people and have their own needs, desires, and personal histories. I just want to get along with everybody.

In the non-profit world, especially in small communities, people seem to bite off more than they can chew (as far as I can tell). They become involved in multiple work related projects, volunteer activities, and of course there are family, friends, relationships, and things like sleep to deal with. I refuse to be a part of this insanity. I do take on more responsibility than I can handle sometimes, but I'm also really good at quitting things and flaking out. Just because the people I am surrounded by are working stressful full time jobs for not enough money, volunteering away their spare time, and spending what little they have left with their families, friends, and significant others, doesn't mean that I have to live the same way.

By no means am I dissing people who are busier than I am. I just can't do it. Personally, I am more of an asset to my workspace, my community, my family, my friends, and myself if I'm not running around trying to juggle too many things. Oh but it's hard.

I found a cat. He is orange and young and his name is Hasil Adkins (google it...). He's kind of like me, red hair, blue eyes, physically affectionate, kind of noisy, independent, and drinks a lot of water. I'm going to spend part of my first pay check getting him neutered. He keeps me from being lonely in the big house I'm staying in by myself.
This summer I devised a list of priorities for the next 15 years. They were:
Cat
Job (so I can support my cat)
House
Husband

Not that these will all happen (although I hope the job one does). But I'm at 1 of 4 right now, which freaks me out a little bit. Still need to finish college before the job, so that's 2 years, but a cat at 20 younger than I expected. Guess it's way better than a baby.


No comments:

Post a Comment