Thursday, September 16, 2010

Books and Lists and Book Lists

The other day while talking to a friend, I realized that this is MY semester off, and I should do things because I want to do them. It sounds simple, but for me, it's a big step. It's not Appalshop's semester off (although they are benefitting from my workaholic tendencies), STAY Project's semester off, WMMT's semester off, the city of Whitesburg's semester off, etc. Which means that if I want to spend a Thursday night in my kitchen having a crappy pop music dance party instead of hanging out a Summit City and being sociable, that's what I should do. If I think it's better for me to spend the morning subbing a radio show than drafting letters of intent for grants, then that's what I should do. Of course, it is my job, so it's not like I'm going to blow off work or anything (and honestly, what would I do if I didn't work? I'd probably just watch Jersey Shore and play mahjong. And that's not how I want to live). I just need to remember to do things because I want to, and not because I feel obligated to. Work doesn't feel like an obligation. I'm so lucky.

The things I want to do:
1. RECOVER FROM MONO!!!!!!!!!!!
2. Work with the STAY Project
3. Work with the Kentucky Health Justice Network project (more on that when I understand more)
4. Sub radio shows on WMMT
5. Be in the country band!
6. Play old time music (bass and banjo)
7. Square dance as often as possible
8. Do more radio journalism
9. Make significant progress on my book list
10. Do yoga/hula hoop/run/hike/pilates/something to keep in decent physical and mental shape
11. Cook healthy food
12. Turn 21
13. Get to know friends and acquaintances better
14. Meet more women from Whitesburg (they've got to be out there... I just don't have any local non-Appalshop female friends and it's a shame).
15. Open a bank account, pay my own rent, pay for my own gas and food aka be a big girl.

And honestly, none of this stuff is impossible. I've already started working on most of these goals.

An updated books I've read list:
Look Homeward Angel by Thomas Wolfe - really good but you can definitely tell it was written in 1929.

5th Avenue, 5 AM blah blah blah about the making of Breakfast at Tiffany's - disappointing! Too much about the process of making the movie and not quite enough dirt on Audrey Hepburn and significance of the movie for feminism, American women, et al.

Been Down So Long it Looks Like Up to Me by Richard Farina - I wanted to read this one because he was friends with Thomas Pynchon and I really liked the Crying of Lot 49 (plus it's Farina's only book -- he died before he could write anymore). Too many venereal diseases for my taste, plus I wasn't that crazy about the main character. I think I'm either a fuddy duddy or was born in the wrong decade for this book.

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston - I think this was the best book I read during this round. The setting of this book really intrigued to me. Rivals Old Yeller for rabies scene.

Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut - The stage where I appreciated Vonnegut's writing the most has ended. So it goes. I later read a book called The Book Thief that took place in WWII Germany. I know very little about Dresden. WWII was no picnic for German civilians either.
A Room With A View and Howard's End by E.M. Forster - A common theme in these books was women not being able to have any sort of opinion or say because they lived in times when it wasn't socially acceptable for women to do anything besides sit still and look pretty or have babies. Another common theme was women being engaged to men who are controlling assholes. They were both really good, and made me thankful that I live in the 21st century.


No comments:

Post a Comment