Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Visiting, Flow, and Basketball

I am currently watching the UK basketball game (since being here I have developed a slight affection for Kentucky basketball) and taking a break from knitting. Here's what I've been up to:

I visit people now! This weekend I went to Dugannon, Virginia where some of the people I work with live on an old farm by the Clinch River. We went hiking, cooked a delicious meal, and played a lot of music. Several families own houses on the farm and spend time there when they can. It was beautiful, and so nice to have other people cook for me. I learned how to make risotto and learned a couple of Kentucky banjo tunes.

Then yesterday evening I went to visit a friend who lives in Knott County, on what might be the highest concentration of musical talent in a couple acre radius in Kentucky. Okay, I probably exaggerate. But the farm is owned by George Gibson, one of the local old time music greats, and the people living in the houses there currently not only run the Pick and Bow after school program, but are members of several old time bands and spend much of their time playing music. When we are much older, they will be the old time music greats. They already are.

I finally got to participate in the Pick and Bow program, and actually ended up helping teach guitar (something that I am highly under-qualified to do, considering I haven't touched a guitar in about a year and a half). The kids liked my "Easter Bunny Got Drunk After Easter" rhyme for remembering the names of the strings.

While in Virginia, I was told to pick up a banjo and show my hosts what I could play. Uhhh... pressure.... I am very shy about playing by myself, much less playing banjo, an instrument that I love, yet continue to be stymied by, by myself. But it turned into a jam session of sorts. I played banjo, with a fiddle and a guitar. And while it was a bit rough on my part, I didn't get too lost, and learned a couple new tunes. Later, while jamming Spotted Pony on my bass, I achieved flow (Ethnomusicology Participatory Music terminology alert!!!). But if you've ever played music with other people, or done anything you really enjoy, you know what I mean. It's when you get completely lost in the music, communicating through notes in a tune. And it's a beautiful beautiful experience.

But back to the game. And back to enjoying my last days in Kentucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment