Wednesday, October 27, 2010

First World Problems

The lovely Rachel Brooke is going to grace me with her presence in Kentucky today! I can't wait to see female friends again! The wealth of female friends I had this summer was due to the influx of interns and a complete lie, because everyone knows that there are no women in Whitesburg, Kentucky. Okay, this is also untrue, but sometimes it feels like I have no female friends here. Don't get me wrong, I have some really amazing male friends, but it's just not the same. I just want to talk about boys and birth control and Taylor Swift, and I simply cannot do that with the country band.

Oh, first world problems.

WARNING THOSE WHO DON'T WANT TO HEAR ME RANT ABOUT CLUELESS MEN SHOULD STOP READING NOW!!!!!

I discovered this weekend that I have a "type" when it comes to romance (ewww she's talking about love... gross). This type is not short dark and handsome, or skinny and bearded, or well-dressed, or music nerds or men with southern accents (although let's face it, I really like all men, as long as I know they can't beat me up). This type is men who don't have their shit together enough to have a girlfriend. They are attractive, smart, understanding, excellent cuddlers who I feel incredibly comfortable being around, but they have issues that prevent them from dating anybody, much less me.

Why oh why oh why?

I mean, it could be a lot worse. I could always fall for abusive drug addicts, or men who aren't interested in women. But this pattern is frustrating. Perhaps I am subconsciously setting myself up for romantic failure because I am reluctant to give up my freedom, so I fall for men that I know won't actually date me. But being wrong and wasting time sucks.

I think I need to stop falling for hikers and musicians and travelers and start falling for Young Republicans and people who want to be president or doctors or lawyers or farmers. Because honestly, they seem to be the only 2o somethings in my experience who have any clue what they're doing with their lives. Not that I have any clue what I'm doing with my life, but it's good if you at least have enough of an idea that you're comfortable being in a relationship.

Grrr... again, first world problems.

So if y'all know any short, dark, and handsome/skinny guys with beards/guitar playing single Young Republicans/people who want to be president/doctors/farmers with southern accents, who are looking for tall, intelligent, funny, beautiful redheaded musicians, send them my way, so I can start worrying about something more important, like grades or the environment.

2 comments:

  1. after introducing my friend David to a certain "small, dark, and handsome" mountain boy, he said, "Uh, no...run the other way, in fact run from all guys in Whitesburg".

    Good advice for us all when expecting anything more than just a little bit of fun.

    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  2. The really frustrating thing about it is that this guy wasn't even from Whitesburg, so I thought I would be fine. Wrong...

    ReplyDelete